Lifestyle Scenic Fruit Farm in Elgin Valley, South Africa
21.3 Ha (53 acre), ample water - more than required –
Farm is also suitable for vineyard farming.
Prime Location in an area where land is in High Demand
Excellent investment opportunity in an area with sharply escalating prices!
I. ASKING PRICE: Very reasonably priced. Price reduced from R 7 million for an urgent sale at a reduced price of R 4,800,000 ( ± € 461,000, i.e € 21,630 per hectare at the present exchange rate of ZAR 10.42 vs. The Euro) for land, buildings and irrigation] [Comparable parcels of land in nearby Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Hermanus etc, are now selling at $15,000,000 to $50,000,000!]
The graph below shows present prices as advertised for various sized farms in the Elgin/Grabouw district, expressed in Rand per hectare and Euro/hectare, with our asking price clearly indicated almost 50% below the orange trend line, which makes it a bargain and an excellent investment for future growth!
II. REASON FOR SELLING: One 77-year-old owner, Emeritus Professor (Agricultural Engineer) wants to retire, other owner, his son, is leaving for New Zealand for property investment and consulting engineering business.
III. DESCRIPTION OF THE FARM:
The farm is 21.3 ha in size, with 12 ha apple, and three ha plum orchards, and it has GlobalGap accreditation for export purposes.
The farm has more water right through the year than can be utilised. The water scenario consists of the following:
• The Kromme river forms the Northern border of our farm, and feeds the Loraine dam, situated on two of the adjacent farms further downstream. The top portion of this dam extends onto our farm and the centre of the river and dam forms the Northern border, of which ± 50% consists of the upper part of the Loraine dam.
• We also have a smaller dam on the farm with sufficient capacity to irrigate all the lower lying orchards below the dam right through the summer. A 380 volt 3-phase electric motor with a centrifugal pump is used to raise the pressure slightly to feed the micro jet irrigation in those orchards from the Eskom network.
• The farm has ±14 ha water allocation quota from the Groenland water scheme. This water is available right through the summer at a pressure that is high enough to reach the highest orchards on the farm without pumping.
• Our average annual rainfall, which occurs mostly during the winter months, is about 1,000 mm per year, which is of the highest rainfall areas in the county. The rain fall is sufficient to fill the dam on our farm, but no water is needed for the orchards during the winter.
• We have an artesian well near the highest point on the farm, which supplies all our water for domestic use for ourselves and for our workers by gravity, without any pumps.
• All the orchards are under irrigation with micro jets and drippers, and a comprehensive computer system is available to control the irrigation, but due to cable theft about ten years ago, we changed over to a manual system.
• There are two drainage channels on the farm, of which one is feeding into our own dam.
• There is also a small perennial stream coming from our neighbouring farm (on the Eastern side of the property), which feeds a small dam before the overflow is allowed to drain away to the Kromme river through one of the smaller plum orchards.
• The whole farm can be fed with fertiliser through the irrigation system, using a mono pump to feed the fertiliser from fertiliser tanks under a very high pressure directly into the irrigation lines during irrigation cycles. LOCATION: The farm is nestled in the heart of the picturesque Elgin Valley, with “Kromme River” river frontage, just behind the Kleinmond mountain range.
The beautiful town of Elgin, Grabouw, is situated just an hour’s drive from Cape Town on the scenic garden route, in the heart of apple/wine farming country.
Elgin Valley is well known as one of South Africa’s most scenic areas. Rose hedges are in full bloom along its tarred roads during springtime.
• Less than 20 km from the sea, (23 km from Kleinmond)
• 90 km (1-hour’s drive) from Cape Town with its Harbour, Table Mountain, Universities, Colleges etc.
• 70 km from Cape Town International Airport
• 70 km from Stellenbosch with its University, Colleges, Private Schools etc.
• 40 km from Hermanus - whale watching!
• 40 km from Somerset West with outstanding Schools, Malls and all other facilities
• Only 15 minutes drive from the town of Grabouw, with its Schools, Mall and Services
• The N-2 National road connects the farm to the South Eastern coastline of the country, and the nearby N-1 connects it to the rest of South Africa further north.
V. MAIN FEATURES:
Quote “Just an hour out of Cape Town at the southern tip of Africa, lies an area of such natural beauty and floral diversity as to be recognized as perhaps the world’s greatest biodiversity hot-spot.”
• The farm falls under the Kogelberg Nature Reserve, which is often considered as the heart of the Cape Floral Kingdom, because of the exceptional quality of its fynbos. The reserve lies within the southern stretch of the rugged Hottentots Holland mountain range, and has remained isolated and remarkably, unspoilt. Its high mountain peaks, steep kloofs, valleys and several tributaries of the pristine Palmiet River create a sense of remote wilderness, as shown in the photos below.
• The farm lies on a Northern slope, less than 200 metres above sea level, and has a Mediterranean climate.
• It is ideal for fruit, vineyard or flower production in a frost-free area with a cool Mediterranean climate, where anything grows!
• Fabulous Sunrises and Sunsets
• Elgin is rapidly developing into South Africa’s newest wine producing area with established wine farmers now moving in from other areas!
• The farm has full GlobalGap accreditation for export. (The last inspection was done in December 2009.)
• Main activities include the production of export apples and plums, and vine ripened greenhouse tomatoes
• Most orchards are still relatively young (less than 10 years), but in full production.
• Pigs are used to reduce wastage into organic compost
• A nursery on the farm produces indigenous flowers -Clivia, Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia), Agapanthus and foliage (Ruscus) under shade netting.
• There is potential for commercial operations as well.
VI. WATER IN ABUNDANCE – more than required, twelve months per year!
a.) ± 14 hectares is listed under the local ‘Groenland Irrigation Scheme’
b.) River frontage (± 500 metres) The upper portion of the large Loraine dam forms part of the Northern border.
c.) Irrigation water from the Groenland irrigation scheme is supplied at 7-9 bar pressure – direct irrigation without pumps.
d.) Two dams (never empty!) and two perennial streams.
e.) Supplementary 3 phase irrigation
f.) The whole farm is under drip and micro irrigation.
g.) A reliable artesian well supplies high quality potable water for the farm’s homestead and servant’s houses through the year.
VII. OTHER FEATURES:
• The double story, brick walled, homestead under slate has wooden window frames, allowing lots of natural light into all rooms. This creates a relaxed and a cool, comfortable atmosphere through the year.
• The master bedroom is on the main floor with an en suite bathroom/toilet, built in cupboards etcetera.
• The rest of the main floor consist of a large country kitchen/dining area, a formal dining room for special occasions, a family room with a walk out patio area for enjoyment of Barbeques, a small work room, separate toilet, a large laundry and separate pantry/store room, and a large study/office with under floor heating.
• The spacious kitchen is equipped with stove, extractor fan, built in cupboards, etcetera.
• The top floor has two spacious bedrooms and a separate bathroom with a shower, toilet etcetera, and windows facing in all directions to enjoy the spectacular views.
• A two-roomed outside building with running water and toilet, previously used as an office, can be converted into a granny flat.
• Four car double garage with remote controlled tip-up doors
• The main house and all outbuildings are surrounded by beautiful gardens, and various shade trees, giving a cool, comfortable atmosphere.
• A 2- 2½-metre high brick/concrete wall with lockable gates ensures privacy and security.
• Two double worker’s houses (two families each) plus
• Six rooms for young, unmarried workers in a third house,
• All the worker’s houses are equipped with running water, electricity and toilet facilities.
. Large workshop and storeroom for farm implements and tractors, with alarm system
. Lock-up tool room, pig facilities, etcetera.
. Diesel tank
. Concrete loading platform and some concrete roads
• 40 acres orchards (Apples and Plums)
• Two pump houses equipped with centrifugal pumps
• One extra centrifugal booster pump – seldom necessary
• PVC main irrigation lines with disc filters, automated controls from a central computer (Not in operation at present)
• Installed mother lines with drippers and micro jets in all orchards.
• Mono pump fertigation unit - feeds all the orchards, the home garden, shade net structures etc. with fertiliser on demand
Items not included in the sale, but negotiable:
Farm tractors, implements etc.
Horticultural indigenous plants, palm trees etc.
• 1,000 sq. m. greenhouse with full facilities for hydroponic tomato production
• Submersible pump in dam for greenhouse water supply
• Automated hydroponic system with storage tanks, bio filter etc. for greenhouse tomato production.
• Smaller greenhouse with cement brick walling and poly carbonate roof and upper side covering, equipped with frames etcetera for seedling production under pulsator irrigation
• Two shade net structures (nursery production) under sprinkler irrigation
VIII. ELECTRICITY, INTERNET ETC:
ESKOM electrical supply, high speed (satellite) internet connection, telephones, alarm systems etc.
Preferred possession date: ASAP.
This is the perfect place for you and your family to come and build your dreams!
Back To Top