Thornwood Lodge is a Group Venuesituated in the southern Waterberg, about 40km from Warmbaths on the R516. We are situated between Mabula and Mabalingwe on the Diepdrif road to De Wildt cheetah sanctuary. We are primarily a group venue and specialise in family groups, get-togethers, functions, golf groups, work bosberaads etc.
- Leopard Room: Two bedroom chalet with shower room and toilet en-suite. Sleeps 4, in 1 double bed and 2 singles. Tea /Coffee station and bar fridge. Patio with bench, smoking only allowed here where cigarettes can be extinguished properly in the sand tray provided.
- Guinea Fowl Room: An open plan chalet, sleeping 4 singles, with a shower and toilet. Tea /Coffee station and bar fridge. Patio bench for smoking. (Beds can be converted to King size double and 2 singles - 3/4 beds)
- Kudu Room: An open plan chalet, sleeping 4 singles, with a shower and toilet. Tea /Coffee station and bar fridge. Patio with smoking area. (Beds can be converted to King size double and 2 singles - 3/4 beds)
- Chameleon Loft: A loft room, above the lapa, sleeping 2 singles. Shower room and toilet, male and female, downstairs. Tea /Coffee station and bar fridge. No smoking.
- Gecko Loft : A loft room, above the lapa, sleeping 2 singles with an extra futon. Shower and toilet, male and female situated downstairs. Tea /Coffee station and bar fridge. No smoking.
*All bedding and towels supplied (except towels for swimming towels) - rooms are serviced each morning.
Additional Facilities at the Lodge:
- Lapa consists of a well equipped kitchen, fridges, freezer, electric stove and gas plates, microwave, separate scullery,
- All utensils for 18-20 guests.
- All cleaning equipment supplied as kitchen is serviced twice a day.
- Bar area with lovely counter, bar stools and additional tables.
- Eating area in open plan lapa, with two large tables with chairs to seat the whole group.
- Couched area with TV and full Dstv package.
- Big deck leading out of lapa form where you can see lovely views of bush veld below and animals on the property. Magnificent sunrises and sunsets.
- Below is the games room which has couches, pool table and table tennis table.
- Rim-flow swimming pool with a view and lovely water feature flowing down past the lapa.
- Boma where fires are made for braais, or bon-fires to sit around and enjoy the bushveld evenings.
- NB: Fires may not be made anywhere on the lodge except in the BOMA
- This is the only place where guests may smoke.
Walks are safe and easy on sand roads, mountain biking can be done -bring own bikes. 4X4
Driving is allowed at 25km /hr. Game to be seen are kudu , bushbuck, nyala, blesbok, impala, duiker, steenbok, zebra, warthog, and other smaller game -squirrels, bush babies, tortoises, porcupines, and the elusive but audible jackals and caracals. Much bird life for the enthusiast.
Activities in the Area:
- Mabula Nature Reserve -18km
- Mabalingwe Nature Reserve and restaurant and day drives -14km
- Golf courses in the area are from Legends, far in the North, to Euphoria and Koro Creek near Modimolle, and Elements near Bela Bela, to Zebula Country Club and Spa just a few KM from Thornwood.
- Zebula Country Club, Golf and Spa with restaurant -15km
- Elements Golf Course -.11km.
- We also have a discount card for Thornwood residents to use on any activity at Zebula, including golf, spa, restaurant, quad bikes, game walks, drives, elephant encounters etc.
- De Wildt Shingwedzi Cheetah sanctuary -15km
- Forever Resort-Warm baths in Bela Bela -40km.
- Thaba Kwena Crocodile farm and tea garden -45km
- Bush Pub at neighbouring farm, L'Abri, specialising in micro brewing. 2km.
- L'abri Farm - Horse trails, Archery, paintball game drives, fishing and more -2km.
- All information and contact numbers are in the brochure in each room at the Lodge.